Adapting an M5 to use my Nikon Fieldscope

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Johnrr44 Regular Member • Posts: 117
Adapting an M5 to use my Nikon Fieldscope

I have a M5.  I'd like to use it with my Nikon Fieldscope telescope.  My telescope has a 80 mm objective and an eyepiece that zooms from 13 to 75 power.  The eyepiece has an exit element that is surrounded by a rubber housing that is about 1.875 in. outside diameter.  About 1.25 in. from the end the diameter of the eyepiece tube shrinks by about 0.5 in. (looses the rubber housing) to the diameter of the tube that screws into the body of the scope.

Has anyone tried to mount a field telescope for digiscoping?  Are the results worth the effort, in terms of resulting IQ?  Am I better off just getting a mount for my phone?

Canon doesn't make their own telescope that can be adapted to mount on their cameras, so I've been looking for T-mount alternatives.  Fotodiox makes a T-mount adapter for the M lenses that has a screw mount on the lens side.  Olivon (never heard of them) makes a lens attachment for telescopes that screws into a T-mount, surrounds the "focuser" and attaches to the focuser's tube with what appears to be 3 set screws.

Is this workable?  Are there better solutions?

John

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow