Z7 plus Samyang's small 35mm 2.8

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photographytragic New Member • Posts: 10
Z7 plus Samyang's small 35mm 2.8

I was desperate for a really small kit for my high-resolution outback landscapes (I print large).
I already had a D850 plus Sigma 150-600 for birds of prey in flight, a great combo.
The ergonomics of the larger body fit well with the lens, and the high resolution gives good telecropping options.
And I would swap to a nifty fifty for the landscapes.
But both activities tend to occur on the same excursions, and I hate lens swapping in the frequently dusty conditions.

So I got a Z7, plus Techart FF E-mount adapter and the small Samyang 35mm F2.8
A cute little setup (that frankly I was half-expecting not to work!)

It's early days yet, and there are foibles, but it does the apertures I want, and the results (for my purposes) are as sharp right across the image as my Nikon nifty-fifty 1.8 a or Sigma 50mm art I have borrowed occasionally.
Foibles and other details:

The Techart took 3 weeks to arrive, with only a user pamphlet in Chinese.

At present for some reason the combo only does F7.6 F8 F9 which luckily is exactly what I need for the landscapes at ISO64.
It aint the camera, it's either the adapter or lens. When woken up the Z7 shows 1.8, then quickly goes to one of those 3 limited settings.

Fortunately the rear cover is also a firmware update dock, though seems to require a smartphone. I wil try an update soon.
Having 2 unsealed surfaces so near to the sensor means I will have to watch dust until I find a way to seal it better. At present a wide rubber band is helping (I think).
The lens is wider than my 50mm of course, and has moderate pincushion distortion at infinity that does not impact my usage, but it's taken the heat off my impatience for my ideal, a native Z-mount 40 or 42 mm pancake.  I can bear the wait now!

Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow