Drive Encryption dangers

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sygnus21
sygnus21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,475
Drive Encryption dangers

For those that encrypt their drives (especially when using BitLocker) make darn sure you not only get a decryption key (BitLocker Recovery Key), but that you know where it is, and have it backed up. I’d swore I baked my key up in my MS Account, but lo and behold… it’s not there.

Long story short, I did a BIOS update, which in turn caused the system to ask for my BitLocker key on bootup. Nothing new and this wouldn’t have been an issue had I had my key.  I didn’t, because it wasn’t where it should have been…. backed up to my Microsoft Account; something I’ve done countless times in the past. Oddly enough though the key hadn’t gotten backed to my MS Account.

That said, I saw a post online that says if you have a school account attached to your PC, the key may have gotten stored on the Azure Active Directory. Just checked my account and it’s not there either.

So now I have to wipe the drives in order to access them, and clean install Windows and all my programs. Luckily, though I have an online backup solution that allows for continuous backups, so I won’t lose any critical files… just a lot of wasted time.

Bottom line, no matter the encryption method you use, double check you have a decryption key and you know where it is else, you’ll be required to wipe the drive (and data) in order to use it again. Assumptions gets you headaches. Lesson learned.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow