Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,712
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Fullframer wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

James809 wrote:

This is what people keep missing with the "ML is lighter" argument; the lenses are just as heavy, and the only weight savings is (arguably) the less-important part of the kit. Though to be fair, 600 grams is over a pound.

But it can be lighter. My Z6 and 24-70 f4 is much lighter than the 810 and 24-70 2.8G I used to lug around. I know that f4 is not 2.8, but with IBIS and better low light capability, I am getting better results and a considerable weight savings.

But, you still aren't getting F2.8 DOF, IBIS isn't going to help you there. Try the Z6 with F2.8 lens, it's not a lot lighter than 810, and you have to carry a flash with Z6, 810 is built in.

No, but not everyone needs shallow depth of field. I know I don’t. I buy fast lenses for different reasons, but the quality of the Z kit kens is easily on par with my old 24-70 2.8 at half the size.

To the OP, for the single use case you present, indeed you would not be saving weight. Most people who buy ML Nikons are using them in a variety of ways and weight savings may not be the only benefit they were seeking.

Different strokes for different folks....

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow