The Recent F/stop Controversy

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
fferreres Senior Member • Posts: 1,558
Re: Yep, that's the modern world, all right.

Great Bustard wrote:

fferreres wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

[Photographic] Equivalence is a paradigm that relates the visual properties of photos of a given scene from different formats based on perspective, framing, and the diameter of the [effective] aperture.

no more or less helpful in understanding what Equivalence is about than, say, a single sentence definition of Capitalism:

an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

I have an alternative definition:

Photographic equivalence provides some rules of thumb to assess how a shot in certain format could have been shot in a different one and still look quite the same.

I suppose your alternative definition for capitalism might go something like:

Capitalism provides some rules of thumb on how the government and people interact with regards to business transactions, how labor is compensated, and the possession of goods property.

I'd go for a definition closer to Adam Smith's words which was much more clearer and informative than the word Capitalism, which was actually coined by Marx with a pejorative way.

But to the point of photographic equivalence, for me, it is a great tool or "practice", and not a paradigm. It's more a bridge than a destination.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow