GX9 - locking the AF point, can anyone explain this behavior?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tammons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,219
GX9 - locking the AF point, can anyone explain this behavior?

I lock the AF point with the right side bar LCD menu "hand with up-pointing finger" icon with an X next to it. So, the AF point is locked for the most part, except...

If the EVF/LCD is set to LCD auto-off (when you put your eye up to the EVF) and the AF lock is set as above, when the LCD screen blacks out, the camera turns the touch AF point dragging back on.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. The LCD is black so you cant see the AF point dragging on the LCD, but you can see it in the EVF.

However, if the EVF and LCD are both set to always on (IE the LCD does not blank out when your eye is at the EVF) the AF point remains locked.

Is this LCD blank/AF point turning back on a glitch that Panasonic needs to fix? Or is there some reason for this?

I find it incredibly frustrating that Panasonic doesn't have a simple "lock the AF point" that works for all circumstances and settings.  And if AF point dragging didn't turn back on when the LCD blanks out, they would.

I have a friend that is ready to sell his GX9 and go back to Fuji, just because of the drifting AF point.

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow