BIG FAN of the RF 35mm 1.8

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Robert Boyer Regular Member • Posts: 255
BIG FAN of the RF 35mm 1.8

I've owned the RF 35mm 1.8 for quite a while now. I've used it in a few casual circumstances and tested it against my gold standard 35 1.4L II on stupid stuff but really have not used it much in my own particular "real world" of portrait or fashion jobs. In fact I've mostly used the R for workshops I've hosted with the RF 24-105L out of convenience. When it comes to anything more critical I've been very lazy and conservative in choosing my 5Ds/R or my 5D mk4 with my go-to EF lenses. Probably because I am not as comfortable with the R yet given how long I've been shooting with 5D-ish canon bodies. I just have not needed the added stress it MIGHT cause. I am probably getting to the point where I am as comfortable for 99% of the ways I use my 5D bodies. I'm very conservative in that sense as I really cannot tolerate any distractions when working with people that distract my attention to the matter at hand.

So... I grabbed someone I've not met before and took a bit of a walk down the road last evening around 5:30PM and made a few pictures with just the R and the EF 35 1.8. All of them wide-open and kind of torture tested the little lens under typical outdoor conditions I would use the 35 1.4L II.

My bottom line is that I would easily use that lens (obviously with the R) in place of my usual 5D4 35/1.4L II combo and never know the difference. In fact given the choice I would opt for the R/35RF1.8 -- in real world use it's faster and more reliable for my purposes. I would also use the RF in place of the 35 1.4L II on the R as well. Of course this may not be true for all things/subjects/etc. Example: coma when used wide open has zero influence on end result. I do care about how OOF areas render but only broadly in that I think they look good or they are highly busy looking. I'm sure you can find where the 351.4L might look a little better if carefully examined side by side, maybe not but overall it's far more circumstantial than it is a huge difference between the two lenses based on my experience with the 35 1.4L.

Just one pic out of the lot for now... if anyone cares I'll post a couple of crappy pics of torture tests in terms of backlight/busy bokeh/etc...

Strait up out of cam via C1 12 w/ lens profile applied.

Robert Boyer's gear list:Robert Boyer's gear list
Canon EOS R
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow