Decisions decisions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pedroboe100
pedroboe100 Regular Member • Posts: 306
Decisions decisions

Hi All

I am going to be in the lake Tahoe area in a couple of weeks and I am agonizing over what gear to take. I love my K5IIs and I have a wide array of lenses, sigma ultra wide 10-20 and some limiteds, etc. I have always been pretty satisfied with my photos, especially for landscape stuff. But I can never get ultra sharp files. I aslo have a yellow! K01 ( I know, I know, but I have taken some amazing landscape shots with it....like:

K01, 15mm limited

K5

K5IIs . Sigma 10-20  heavily processed with NIK viveza and color fx

Since I know that lots of people here also are invested in M43 equipment, I'm sure it's safe to admit that I also have a paralell alternative. I have GH4 mostly for video (my daughter cello recitals, swimming) but I don't really trust it for stills, even in RAW. I recently got a GX9, thinking that it would make a nice light travel package, Plus I am also enamoured with the idea of the "high resolution" mode option. I got the GX9 and comparing with GH4, I definitely prefer the GH4 handling. Also, taking some shots in auto mode and jpg , they seem pretty much the same to my eyes. Funny, because I used to have GX7 and thought the jpgs out of camera were very special. Anyway, you get the idea.

GH4, 12-35 2.8 jpeg out of camera

So, as you can see, I prefer the Pentax files, but 16mp is 16mp.

Would you take GX9 (20mp plus super high res mode), shoot raw and be done with it?

I am not inclined to take both, because of the lense load.

Thanks and apologies if this is a jading subject lol.

The question is, what would you take with you and why?

pedroboe100's gear list:pedroboe100's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +11 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow