New OM-D E-M1 II owner

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 586
New OM-D E-M1 II owner

My Sony RX10M4 has been pretty much redundant since I got the RX100M6. The 600mm FF equivalent zoom is impressive but I don't shoot wildlife or have much other use for extreme zoom range. The image quality & features like HFR are identical on both cameras so the RX10M4 is pretty much redundant as I use the RX100M6 80-90% of the time as it's in my pocket so often. If I want to "do photography" then I have my Nikon D810 but that's too much of a big beast for every day use.

I noticed that Olympus just brought out new firmware for the OM-D E-M1 II providing many of the cool AF features of the OM-D E-M1X plus OM-Log400. I have owned several MFT cameras over the years & was particularly fond of the original OM-D E-M5 with 5-axis IBIS while the video was a bit mushy the colours were lovely & the stabilisation fantastic.

I was able to trade in the RX10M4 for a used OM-D E-M1 II & new Panasonic 25mm F/1.7 & £40. I've only had the chance to play with the camera for a couple of hours but am very pleased with my purchase. It's a beautifully built camera with great ergonomics. The 5-axis IBIS is even more amazing than on the original OM-D E-M5 & the 4K video is very good indeed. Will I miss the 600mm reach of the RX10M4 well maybe but if I ever need that reach there are alternatives in MFT.

I got a cheap speed booster as I thought that I might use my Nikon lenses on occasion but having tried them realised that the camera is so unbalanced with a large FF lens on the front (plus the speed booster) that it's not really a viable option. One of the beauties of MFT is the lightweight small lenses so that your whole camera bag is lightweight.

For the moment I am enjoying using just the 25mm F1.7 but would be interested in recommendations on a couple of other lenses. I sold all my MFT gear about five years ago but remember that among my favourites were the Panasonic 7-14mm F/4, Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 & Panasonic 14-140mm F/3.5-5.6.

nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +3 more
Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow