Serious focusing issues in low light on the EOS R

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sebtje10 New Member • Posts: 5
Serious focusing issues in low light on the EOS R

Okay, I am starting to think that my rented EOS R has a faulty af.

I usually photograph my parties with an EOS 7D and 430 EX III Speedlite. This camera never misses, everytime I take a picture in low light it always focuses.

I want to upgrade to the EOS R, thinking that the focusing would be fantastic. Everyone online keeps ranting about how good it can still focus in low light (better than 1DX MK2 that is).

So I rented an EOS R out for half a week and tried to photograph a party last night. TRIED because oh boy it did not hold up well.

Basically like 40 percent of the time it couldn't focus. I would be standing there, trying to take a picture of a person or a group of friends and it would keep hunting and hunting. Eventually I needed to switch to manual af to break the tension, cause I was standing there like an idiot for 20 seconds getting it to focus.

I was using a 24-105 F4 RF and 35 F1.8 RF native lenses, and the 430 EX III Speedlite, the infrared beam wasn't working (as with every mirrorless camera?) but I turned it on in-camera. I am including a photo where he did focus just for reference of the kind of situation I am in most of the time. Lots of party light and strobo. I also noticed he had especially focusing trouble with black clothing and people.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Are all the review lying or am I doing something wrong? The way this camera is behaving makes it absolutely unusable for me.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow