What to bring to Alaska

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SeeTheWorld
SeeTheWorld Regular Member • Posts: 342
What to bring to Alaska

Hi there DP Friends,

We will leave for Alaska soon and I’ve been preparing.  Based on a lot of research and also reading this forum, I upgraded my cameras to the RX10M4 and the RX100M6 this spring.  Again with advice from DPReview participants, I learned how to use the various photo taking options on each.  “A” is my favorite, but I also like playing with Speed. That took a lot of work and I’m practicing when I can.

I got a dual battery charger and can supplement with my singles if there’s a technical problem.  I got a waterproof backpack for “wet landings”.

Questions:

How many SDHC cards should I bring?

Which ones should I purchase?  What brand, size, speed or whatever?

How many batteries?  Can I safely get the non-Sony brand of battery?  Do they last as much time as the Sony’s?

Should I bring my MacBook Pro and download the photos daily?  It’s kind of heavy, and I’ve never brought it before  But I saw a photo of people on the National Geographic ship using what looked like laptops in the dining area.

Instead of the MacBook Pro, should I bring an iPad or anything to download photos onto?  Do iPads have ports for the readers of SDHC cards?  What do you recommend?

I take notes from all my responses, so, thank you for the assistance!!

-- hide signature --

Mary
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world . . ." Margaret Mead

SeeTheWorld's gear list:SeeTheWorld's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G11 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow