Cybershot DSC HX 400 taking photos with out a memory card inserted

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,173
Re: Cybershot DSC HX 400 taking photos with out a memory card inserted

sybersitizen wrote:

There's no mention of the 'Release w/o Card' option in the A77II documentation - only the 'Release w/o Lens' option.

I just went through the menu of my A77ii and you are right, there is no menu option. Release without card is disabled by default and there is no way to turn it on. Interesting. The option is available on my A99ii, RX10iii and RX10iv and I have it disabled on all 3. I just assumed my A77ii was the same.

There are lots of Sony cameras that don't have the 'Release w/o Card' on/off option. That's the option the OP wants but doesn't have, according to the HX400 documentation.

I just checked all my cameras and only the RX100 does not have the release w/o card on/off capability.

I've got seven Sonys in the house, and only one has it.

It does flash a warning in orange that there is no card that's pretty hard to miss.

I agree. I've never missed it ... but there are people who miss it, like the OP of this thread did.

So in summary for the 5 Sony cameras I own, oldest to newest;

RX100 Purchased 8/2012, no Release without Card option, default on.

A77ii Purchased 5/2015, no release without card option default off.

RX10iii Purchased 6/2016, yes there is an option on or off.

A99ii Purchased 2/2017, yes there is an option on or off.

RX10iv Purchased 4/2018, yes there is an option on or off.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow