The Recent F/stop Controversy

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 55,567
Re: Really?

Michael Fryd wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

Good point! f-stop is useful for figuring out exposure, which is the same on any camera. You need to deal with exposure before anything else really, it's that basic. If you were say to have several cameras of different formats, the same rules of exposure would apply to each one and the same settings to get that same exposure. Sure, they will each handle noise differently, but that's not exposure and you don't really need ay kind of fancy jargon or a slide rule to figure that out. It's something that one can get a sense of when they use each camera. I have just one camera and I have a sense of how much noise I'm likely to get at any given ISO (which is also determined somewhat by light and subject)...

I disagree with your assertion that "You need to deal with exposure before anything else really, it's that basic".

That was true for film, but is not for digital.

Why is it more important to deal with exposure before dealing with aperture or shutter speed?

By all accounts I always thought of aperture and shutter speed as being exposure. What are you talking about? You seem to be making circular arguments.

With film the answer was that if you didn't hit the target exposure that matched your film, nothing else mattered.

With digital, there is a wide range of exposures that produce good results.

====

The other issue, is that with film, it's the light per unit area that affects your results. With digital it's the total light captured.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow