Holiday Pics In Scotland

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Kev The Doc Senior Member • Posts: 1,722
Re: Holiday Pics In Scotland

Beautiful part of thew World!

In good light my go to starting point for landscape shooting is Aperture priority, lock ISO at 100, and start with aperture at F8. In good light the shutter speed will be high enough to shoot handheld, but you do need to keep an eye on what shutter speed the camera is selecting. As a rule of thumb stay faster than 1/FF equiv FL. The reason I choose this as a starting point is firstly the sensor performs best at it's native iso, which for your camera is 100, and this isn't just about keeping noise as low as possible, it's also because the camera sensor has a wider dynamic range when used at it's native iso vs other iso's. Regarding F stop, "typically" landscape are requiring everything to be in focus and F8 at wide angles is usually enough to accomplish this but also most lenses perform best (sharpness) around this f stop. Not sure if DxO Mark have tested this lens yet, but if so it can be a useful reference to see where your lens performs best vs F stop and where softness or diffraction start to impede picture quality.

When shooting hand held In lower light conditions I use manual mode with iso in auto. I select the lowest shutter speed that I can consistently get sharp shots with, again 1 /FF equip FL is a fair starting point, but depending on your technique you made need higher or you may be able to go noticeable lower. With regard to aperture in lower light conditions, I shoot as wide open as I can but still delivering the depth of field (dof) that I need which may be different shot to shot. By keeping shutter speed low and aperture as wide as acceptable I'm keeping ISO as low as possible for a better quality image generally speaking.

The real art of landscape shooting however is shot composition, the framing etc. I find this part particularly difficult, and for me it's a long learning process, but I've found joining local photo groups is a great way of accelerating the learning curve as the experienced shooters can walk you through their framing techniques and thought process, for instance, if a part of the scene isn't contributing to the shot then don't include it in you framing, below is an example which may or may not prefer to your original shot?

Original shot

Cropped / reframed version

Kev The Doc's gear list:Kev The Doc's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow