The Recent F/stop Controversy

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 11,282
Re: The Recent F/stop Controversy

Pixel Pooper wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

It's not worth creating an alternative to the f-stop, because people would still run into a conceptual brick wall later when they find that a 35mm f1.4 does not have the same depth of field as a 105mm f1.4.

One is not creating an "alternative to f/stops". The underlying optical property we are talking about is the diameter of the entrance pupil of the lens. "F/stop" is the alternative that we use when we are more concerned about light per unit area than exposure.

How can you be more concerned about light per area than exposure, when exposure is light per area by definition?

Sorry. I mistyped. I meant to say:

One is not creating an "alternative to f/stops". The underlying optical property we are talking about is the diameter of the entrance pupil of the lens. "F/stop" is the alternative that we use when we are more concerned about light per unit area than total light captured.

Thanks for catching my mistake.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow