Cybershot DSC HX 400 taking photos with out a memory card inserted

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,532
Re: Cybershot DSC HX 400 taking photos with out a memory card inserted

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

ok.

that's a shame because having such a feature can do all the difference.

With my DSC-R1, the "darn, I forgot to put the memory stick" backup is a compact flash card never leaving the camera (I don't have a reader for it).  Getting stuff back out requires an USB cable for me (unfortunately, nothing akin to "COPY" for moving pictures in internal memory to the regular storage space) and it's slower than the memory stick but beats internal memory in terms of speed and capacity.

With other cameras, I have frequently needed to use the internal memory for the "card still in computer" situation that occurs annoyingly often (one would think that one learns after a few years of this, but no).

Sometimes I leave open the memory card door to remind me of the missing card (or because the card is going to be reinserted "real soon now") but that's a really bad idea because it can easily lead to breaking the door off when putting the camera in some bag with an open door.  I try not doing that any more.

Just my kind of anecdotal experience with that situation occuring all the time, enough that I am surprised that the HX400 should have no way for dealing with it more graciously than reported here.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow