Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,002
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Fullframer wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

James809 wrote:

This is what people keep missing with the "ML is lighter" argument; the lenses are just as heavy, and the only weight savings is (arguably) the less-important part of the kit. Though to be fair, 600 grams is over a pound.

But it can be lighter. My Z6 and 24-70 f4 is much lighter than the 810 and 24-70 2.8G I used to lug around. I know that f4 is not 2.8, but with IBIS and better low light capability, I am getting better results and a considerable weight savings.

But, you still aren't getting F2.8 DOF, IBIS isn't going to help you there. Try the Z6 with F2.8 lens, it's not a lot lighter than 810, and you have to carry a flash with Z6, 810 is built in.

D810 = 980gms

24-70 f2.8E VR = 1070gms

Total = 2050gms

Z6/7 = 585gms

24-70 f2.8 = 805gms

Total = 1390gms.

660gms weight saving and much smaller in size. I guess it depends on what you call "not a lot lighter", but that is a 1/3rd saving in weight which I call significant.

Never take a flash on my travels. Never did when i took the D850 which doesn't have a flash either. In fact, I can't remember when I last used a flash.

To the OP, for the single use case you present, indeed you would not be saving weight. Most people who buy ML Nikons are using them in a variety of ways and weight savings may not be the only benefit they were seeking.

Different strokes for different folks....

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow