Started Jul 12, 2019 | Discussions thread
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,063
Re: On the fp Sensor & vintage lenses.

DMillier wrote:

saltydogstudios wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

saltydogstudios wrote:

I'd posited that Sigma would introduce a small FF Foveon camera to position themselves apart from the large Panasonic and Leica cameras. Specifically to go after the Leica M-Mount market.

I'd wondered, though, how - knowing the Foveon's reliance on luminosity for the color algorithm, it would deal with wide angle lenses.<>

Please share the source of "Foveon's reliance on luminosity for the color algorithm".

Hmm. I thought someone might pick on my usage of the word luminosity here.

Isn't it well accepted that Foveon sensor have difficulty handling color in shadow areas? If the object is well saturated on the sensor it can figure out what the color is easily.

But if the object is not well saturated on the sensor - such as a shadow area - the camera would struggle to figure out what color it's supposed to be.

Honestly I've wondered since the announcement of the Full Frame Foveon in L-Mount, how Sigma's engineers were going to deal with vignetting from vintage lenses.

Sigma can bake in lens profiles for various cameras - the way they baked in Merrill sensors being slightly misaligned (or whatever Roland described). But when they don't know the lens - if it vignettes heavily, I figured that Sigma's engineers would have to specially address lens vignetting in how the algorithms render color.

Also on the name - Fortissimo Pianissimo.

The Harpsichord was a very loud instrument - because mechanical levers "plucked" the strings at the same intensity every time, you couldn't vary the volume.

Then someone came up with a system of hammers that could strike the strings at different velocities, depending on how hard one played. This invention was called the Pianissimo Forte - Soft and Loud because you could vary the volume. This was later shortened to Piano, which is how we know the instrument today.

Unfortunately, DPR's "In case you're wondering, 'fp' stands for 'fortissimo pianissimo', which translates roughly to 'very loud and very soft'." is hard to confirm, either on Sigma's website or on the 'net generally.

https://youtu.be/s5e580-K2z8?t=95

Firstly, if we're going to talk music:

"The fortepiano notation fp indicates a forte followed immediately by piano."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamics_(music)

Nextly, the instrument-name "piano" is a contraction of "pianoforte", not "Pianissimo Forte" unless you have a credible reference that says otherwise ...

Yes, pianoforte, not pianissimo forte, I was speaking ad hoc.

The Merrill sensor tends to have desaturated colour in the shadows but as I understood it this was done to try and hide the big blotchy noise rather than an intrinsic problem identifying colour is areas of low light.

I thought all sensors (and our eyes too) have trouble seeing color in low light areas of a scene.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow