Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ZeBebito
OP ZeBebito Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

TJ61 wrote:

ZeBebito wrote:

The simplest solution is the obvious, an SD card-iPhone adapter and voilá, backup everything in my 256gb phone. I assume there are SD adapters for Android too.

Unless, like me, you shoot raw+jpg. That slick little iPhone connector doesn't let you choose which to transfer.

Also beware of some wireless transfer "solutions", especially if you shoot raw only. You may find that your "solution" is only transferring the low-res jpg thumbnail that's embedded in the raw file.

I've been down this road before, and always seemed to find the devil in the details. But everyone's situation is different, everyone's needs are different, and everyone has their own set of rational or irrational fears. Luckily, there are lots of bits and pieces of good info here for us to build our own unique solution.

But, word to the wise: fully test your chosen backup solution before you go. That includes checking file resolution of your backup.

I also shoot RAW+jpg and the Apple adapter transfers all, don’t see what the problem might be.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what's important

ZeBebito's gear list:ZeBebito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7R II +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
MK
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow