Evening portraits

Started Jul 11, 2019 | Photos thread
afwares Regular Member • Posts: 150
Re: Evening portraits

I agree that Fuji's cams tend to auto white balance to higher Kelvin temps, definitely on the cooler end of the scale.  For that first photo, for example, if you'd asked me to guess on the time of day for that photo I'd have guessed late afternoon maybe 3pm.  Whereas the processed version, with that warmth added back in, I'd guess 5:30-6pm with more of that golden hour look.  So from your being there, and the way you want to remember it, the processed version may be much more accurate and/or reminiscent of how your mind stored the memory of those moments.

I think part of it is also our personal preferences for color temperature. When we do product shots, I'm almost always setting my lighting temps at 5400-5600.  That's just what my eyes prefer for a cool, neutral background.   But if my wife does the same shoot she'd have the lighting temps down in the high 4s.  She prefers a warmer look than I do. So I get where you were going in warming those shots up vs. SOOC.

afwares's gear list:afwares's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K100D Fujifilm X-T20 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow