Nuts to consider 18-35G vs the 14-30S?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 11,082
Re: Nuts to consider 18-35G vs the 14-30S?

Brian P Smith wrote:

So here is my issue that I've been struggling with... However, at $1300 and the fact that I probably won't shoot past 16mm,

How do you know that if you have never used a lens wider than 16mm on a “full-frame camera”?

I'm wondering if I should instead pick up the 18-35G.

I’d go with the 16-35mm f4G instead.

That lens is supposed to be stellar (for the price), and the variable aperture doesn't bother me. Using the FTZ adapter isn't as ideal as native mount, but hasn't been bad in my experience (and i need it anyway until a Z-mount 70-200 F4 is released).

i think the issue most people who have not used F-mount lenses on a Z camera plus FTZ  is a perceptual one. A Z6 or a Z7 with an FTZ is still less bulky than a comparable DSLR body and benefits from the better ergonomics of the Z cameras

Both lenses will be able to resolve way above my capabilities, but is it madness to forgo the native mount solution for quite some time and stick with a "lesser" lens?

I like the  Nikkor Z 14-30mm f4 S  a lot. It is physically smaller and lighter than the AFS-Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G or any other ultra- or super- wide angle to wide angle zoom lens,  even if you do not include needing an FTZ adapter. This makes it handier to use and carry. It’s also a bit sharper.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow