Cheap reach

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 4,588
Re: Cheap reach

olindacat wrote:

So I went to a nearby camera shot and grabbed an AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR G for $230 used. I have shot a 104-page book with it and my 24-70, and am glad to have it, but will say the bokeh on the 70-300 isn't up to the same standard as my 24-70 f/2.8 G, and I had thought the length might've given me even a softer look, but I guess the glass just isn't up to the task, given its price.

I’m not sure what you are looking for — more background “blur” or better rendition of that blur.  Correctly or not, people use the term ‘bokeh’ to mean either.  The former requires a wider aperture — the latter depends on things such as spherical aberration corrections.

The original 70-300mm G was unexceptional in both regards.

Technique-wise, I found myself struggling to freeze a golf ball to the point where I could see the dimples, logo, etc. on a moving ball. I have seen some shots at 1/10000th, but have never shot anything at that speed.

dpreview will show a shutter speed of 1/10,000 when the EXIF information has been stripped.  That’s far more common than use of that shutter speed — I don’t own a camera capable of that speed.

I do wonder about the value of seeing dimples on a “moving” golf ball, but it’s your gear, your money, and your time.  Good luck on the quest!

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +40 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow