Build quality of cameras

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
bkjones88
bkjones88 Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: My Understanding of QUALITY . . .

BrownieVet wrote:

Re: Build quality of cameras

is COMPLIANCE to SPECIFICATION.

In our throw-away society, particularly in the USA, I noticed as early as the late 1960s the declining life cycle of consumer goods. Durability of consumer good seem to be dictated by planned obsolescences. The Japanese camera and lenses that were designed and built to exacting specifications in the very early 1960s are no longer the norm. NOW, even Japanese cameras/ lenses seem to follow the trend of planned obsolescences.

The precise performance, repeatability, reliability and durability of my Nikon cameras and lens built in the mid-1960d to mid-1980s seem to have fallen by the wayside for post 2000 era products. All my old Nikon SLRs and lenses still perform flawlessly, All my old Nikkor lenses work well on my Nikon DSLRs. Sadly, I have come across many "Gold Ring" Nikkors/Nikons where AF no longer work, were zoom no longer cover the entire FL of the lens, where grinding noise are prevalent.

Having been retired (Scientist/Enginner) for decades, I am no longer well informed of materials used in industrial, commercial and consumer goods.

nighthawk1234 wrote:

Okay so my first pro body was D3x and i was so amazed how sturdy and rugged camera was. I never touched other pro body before it, but i thought other new cameras in pro section were the same quality (d4, d5, canon 1dx etc). Few months ago at friends place i played with canon 1ds and it was pretty much the same quality as my d3x. To cut story short, he ordered used canon 1dx mark ii, bcs we heard lot of good things about it. But first things we noticed was that plastics all over the camera felt cheap and brittle compared to older series. Note that everything on camera worked perfectly it was incredibly fast and snappy but it felt much more plasticky and cheap compared to old "tanks" it was heavy tho but that was it...

Am i imagining all of this or is quality of cameras slowly degrading so that companies can save some money on build quality? Or what the hell is going on and why would quality drop

While ergonomics and "feel" maybe of personal taste, I share your perspective regarding the degradation of built, durability, performance, repeatability and reliability of cameras and lenses.

But how is the autofocus working on your 1960s SLR lenses? My point is that modern tech may be or seem more failure prone than decades old equipment, but that's probably due in large part to the fact that it's far more sophisticated and complex. Yes, that means more points of failure. But the upside is that you can do things now with your camera (or phone or car) that would have been utterly unimaginable in the past.

-- hide signature --
 bkjones88's gear list:bkjones88's gear list
Nikon D7500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G Nikon D3400 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow