Iceland - 10 days of consecutive showers! What?!

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MK Senior Member • Posts: 2,375
Iceland - 10 days of consecutive showers! What?!

My home is usually on the Nikon Pro DX SLR Forum but I'm going to try my luck here first. In a few days we'll be heading to Iceland for eight days. We will have a car and plan to do the Ring Road in 8 days, stopping at a different hotel every night.

Although it's a vacation, my ulterior motive is photography (shhh!). Supposedly July is their best weather, if you're not a cold weather person. So we booked this trip awhile ago and we accepted that it will be an expensive one given the prices over there. (I read a funny post somewhere on DPReview where someone asked what to bring to Iceland (referencing equipment). One person said "Money!". LOL!!!!)

Anyway I just checked the extened 10 day forcast and they are pretty much carbon copy of each other...Shower/Rain/Cloudy. Not a a sun (even partial) icon on that page! I was a bit shocked and surprised given this is mid July. Yes, I do understand it's Mother Nature but I am disappointed and I haven't even left yet!

Now I'm TOTALLY bummed out. I'm an experienced photographer but not with overcast, cloudy, rainy situations FOR EVERY DAY! I'm not worried about my gear (D500 and a bunch of lenses). I just feel that all my pictures will come back looking blah.

So, are there any websites where I can get a quick and good read on ways to make a photo pop in those conditions? If it's specific to Iceland, even better! I'm not a post processing kind of guy and only do what I can do with camera settings. Something along the lines of "Guide to Bad Weather Photography" or "How to Make Lemonade..."

I did do a search and there were a ton but most are just garbage or things I already know. I want something directed towards Experienced of Advanced Amateur photographers.

Sorry for the diatribe.

Signed,

Bummed Before Going

MK's gear list:MK's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
Lan
MK
MK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow