Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,578
Re: Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

mfinley wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

sd cards cost more than portable USB HDD's:: about $0.40/GB compared to $0.25/GB).

First, there was a typo. The comparison should have been $0.40/GB vs $0.05/GB (not $0.25). A TB of back-up capacity with sd cards would be around $600, based on your price of $20/32GB. A 1TB external SSD USB-3 drive is around $140. Both can do back-ups but the USB has other uses and is 25% of the price. The case is more complex than just this comparison but my comments are not misleading.

Thirdly there is no advantage to having a backup on a different media, unless you're worried about some threat that would destroy one media while not the other, I don't know of any threats that would take out an SD card while the HD survives, especially being that the SD card has the highest track record for data safety of any media, so putting a backup on any media besides it means you're stepping down a tier in protection. I can see a theoretical advantage to having a back up on a separate media so it get stored elsewhere compared to having 20 SD cards containing originals and back up bundled together as a single package, you lose the one item and you lose originals and back ups.

I still don't trust sd cards. Sorry. I had one card get destroyed due to static electricity. I hear reports of cards having their connectors damaged and becoming unreadable. Yes, I know that HHD and SSD can fail. But, I have more confidence in them than in SD. Maybe that is misplaced and based on an 'old mindset' but part of backing up is peace of mind.

I have several portable USB-3 drives, both HHD and SSD. They are light and don't take up much space. These are convenient and not expensive to use. I don't have enough sd cards to use as back-ups. And, I find sd cards to be easy to lose and 'fiddly'.

Obviously you can do this however you want, and I'm not trying to force you to do anything, just clarify some of the points you have which are a bit unfounded.

I don't think that my content is unfounded. You may disagree with the interpretation of what the information means but that is different. And, my main message to folks is to be explicit in what they are proposing so that readers can access the viability of the proposed methods in their use scenario.

Personally I just think you haven't yet wrapped your head around how good you have it with a dual slot camera and are still stuck in a mindset of harddrive, must be a harddrive back up.

If I were really stuck in a old mindset, I'd be suggesting back-ups on DVD's, CD's or even magnetic tape

Personally I will enjoy the simple and safe ability of my camera to instantly backup my images onto another set of SD cards, because unfortunately the trend is these dual slots in cameras are going away. So I will definitely enjoy and take advantage of it while I can. I love the ability to travel with 2-3 TB of storage that basically could fit in my wallet.

As you say - to each your own. Any back-up is better than no back-up. The method you use should be something that you are comfortable with.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
MK
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow