Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,593
Re: dual slot backup?

larsbc wrote:

Could you elaborate on how Nikon uses the dual slots for backup? If I understand it correctly, it can be configured so that when you take a photo, it is immediately written to both cards in the slots. That provides a backup in case one of the cards gets corrupted but it doesn't address a common scenarios of image loss: if your camera gets stolen or lost, both cards are gone.

On the other hand, if it works by allowing you to use a single card (A), and then at the end of the day you can slip another card (B) into the second slot and copy everything from card A onto card B, then I can see that as being a decent option because it allows your backup to be separate from your camera.

You can do it both ways. The first way 'automates' the process of getting two copies.  But, until you remove the second sd card from the camera, you have the back-up in the same physical place as the original.

The other way can be done at the end of the day, copying the contents of the primary sd to a second card you install just for the back-up. Then, you can store that back-up sd in a separate place.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
MK
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow