Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 2,505
Re: dual slot backup?

larsbc wrote:

Could you elaborate on how Nikon uses the dual slots for backup? If I understand it correctly, it can be configured so that when you take a photo, it is immediately written to both cards in the slots. That provides a backup in case one of the cards gets corrupted but it doesn't address a common scenarios of image loss: if your camera gets stolen or lost, both cards are gone.

On the other hand, if it works by allowing you to use a single card (A), and then at the end of the day you can slip another card (B) into the second slot and copy everything from card A onto card B, then I can see that as being a decent option because it allows your backup to be separate from your camera.

See my above post where I address this in detail. But essentially the really simple answer is to buy smaller sized SD storage cards, (which are cheaper anyway). Or simply not waiting till a card is filled to switch to a new card. SD cards are really cheap, especially if you are buying 32s or 16s and get them in bulk or on sale.

This picture shows how I used to travel with an SD wallet to keep everything and a 1/2 dozen SD cards. Now that I've switched up to a EM-1 camera with dual slots I will add about 10 more cards and a 2nd wallet, one for originals and one for backups.

The SD adapter is for the micro SD card in a Gopro and the micro USB is 256GB by itself, acts as a 2nd hard drive for the laptop if needed.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
MK
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow