Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Franglais91 Contributing Member • Posts: 912
18-35 is best compromise

nbirkett wrote:

Andy Currie wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Why is the 18-35 a better choice than the much wider 16-35?

The 18-35 is cheaper, smaller, lighter than the 16-35 - and it outperforms it too. Only issue is build quality - the 18-35 is plastic, but for half the price and half the weight I'm converted...

Nikon sells three full frame lens in this range: 16-35mm, 17-35mm and 18-35mm lens. They must really like that focal length range They all seem to get good reviews. Weight and cost-wise, the 18-35 would seem to be be the best choice.

In addition to weight and cost, there are differences in the maximum aperture, going from f4 to f 2.8 to f3.5-4.5. How much of a factor would the aperture be in the choice?

The 17-35 f2.8 created a huge buzz when it was released in about 1998. It was one of the first AF-S lenses but it had remarkable image quality for a superwideangle zoom lens - of the time. I like mine even if it's never really as sharp as I would like it to be especially at f2.8 and it certainly doesn't fit in my travel bag.

The 18-35 AF-G was released at about the same time as the D750, made in the Chinese factory that Nikon closed down. My guess is that Nikon is running out of stocks of new ones and it rarely appears on the second-hand market. It just fits in my travel bag and I'm very happy with it.

The 16-35 is again too big for the Travel Bag and VR doesn't seem to be so important on wideangles.

BTW there was a 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D (no focussing motor) made back in the 1990's but that was not such a good lens.

-- hide signature --
 Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow