Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,783
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

commiebiker wrote:

Raymond Cho wrote:

Andy Currie wrote:

I have the same issue of weight/quality versus output and a need to stay with Nikon, despite the pull of jumping to Fuji.

2 years ago I travelled to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore. My main lens was a 24-120 - and almost everything past 100mm was unusable...

My 3yr ago Hong Kong, Guanghzhou China and Taiwan trip.

As a Nikon user one time silly enough to carry my D600, F100 (slide film), FM2N (b/w film), 50mm, 18-35g, 70-200g F4 even a speedlight. Most things got left in hotel after a few days. A tripod also.

I went the other extreme with a used Fuji body, just the included kit lens for now. The Fuji body is noticeable more compact. To go light i stick within 2 lenses or 1 zoom, 1 prime kinda thing. The Fuji primes are quite a bit smaller. I pick a small bag and make do with that. I also find I don't need anything longer than 100mm.

I also have a Ricoh GR fits in the pocket without any bag, which is super fantastic when you wanna go out to dinner or just outside with nothing on you for a change. APS-C sensor and F2.8 equiv to a 28mm. I picked it over the Fuji X100F due to the size.

The Nikon Z is brand new, it is more expensive and is physically larger than the Fuji. Another option is Olympus with image stabiliser in body and not everyone likes Fuji's analogue control dials. Sony A6000s ... but less lens choice.

I'm also a big believer in less is more. I'm not a big fan of the super zooms anyway, but putting some limits on your gear can encourage a little more creativity.

I'll make an exception for specific photo intensive trips...like next year I'm booked to the Galapagos Islands, and will probably go with a full range of gear:)

I don't understand "encourage a little more creativity".  I carry the lenses that get the shots I need.  When I'm out on a paying shoot I don't need "creativity" I need to produce the images my client(s) ask me to get.  My experimenting days are over.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow