Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,185
Re: Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

I used to use a Nexto ND2525 standalone portable hard disk; which backs your cards up directly to its own internal HDD, but I retired it as it was getting a bit long in the tooth.

These days I travel with a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, and a pair of large SSDs. The Surface has the advantage that its small and light (compared to most laptops anyway), has a nice screen, and you can edit your pictures on it using mainstream PC applications as you go (DxO PhotoLab and Photoshop CC2019 both run without problems, albeit slowly), and then you can store the SSDs practically anywhere.

I usually have the original cards in my camera bag, one SSD in my hold luggage, and one SSD in the wife's handbag.

Just storing the images on the original cards means you're vulnerable to loss of everything due to a single theft. If I manage to lose my camera bag, my hold luggage and the wife, I'll most likely have more pressing concerns

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
MK
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow