Printing black and white (basic question about directions to printer)

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mike in brazil Regular Member • Posts: 461
Printing black and white (basic question about directions to printer)

Sorry for asking something that may have been discussed at length already. I will search for the answer, but as i am in direct correspondence with a printer right now, I am hoping to resolve this asap.

My question is this. I have prepared my digital images using Photoshop and Silver Efex Pro plugin. I thought I had them exactly where I wanted to to be in terms of tonality and such.

Then i sent them to be printed for the first time to a friend who has a professional printer (even though she does not do this for a living she has experience printing for established professional artists.

She asked me what tonality I wanted to print them with, referring to the advanced Black and White configuration on the Epson printer set up.

I was confused because I thought I had already made all those choices when editing the images with Silver Efex and that her job was to just reproduce the image as well as possible. Unfortunately I am not able to go and watch the printing and observe the effects and evaluate the options in person at this time.
So my question is whether she is doing the right thing in attempting to use the Epson B&W advanced options or whether there is an easier way for her to simply print what i have already provided her "as is".

I am still trying to understand the way in which the printer options will override the digital file.  Taking an extreme example Suppose I used Silver Efex to produce a sepia image. If I pass that sepia image to a printer, do they have to futz with the Black and White advanced options or should they just print it as a color image and let the printer reproduce the sepia that I supplied automatically?  Hypothetically, if i send a sepia image and the printer chooses Black and White advanced settings tonality "neutral" does that blow away my sepia completely or does "neutral" in that case mean "print to match the file"?

thanks in advance.

mike in brazil's gear list:mike in brazil's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a6000
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow