AI is just around the corner.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,167
Re: Which computation do you want?

stevo23 wrote:

PhotoFactor wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Wayne Larmon wrote:

1. Near perfect auto tone mapping so there is no need to shoot raw (most of the time.) (Again, no existing ILC or P&S can do this.)

You mean like HDR tone mapping? I think my camera does this now unless you're looking for extreme stuff.

I have two different vendor ILCs and I've tried the in-camera HDR. It doesn't hold a candle to the phone's exposure and tone management. Post processing is needed. The cameras could do a much more intelligent job.

I haven’t tried it with my xp2, but I can imagine a phone might actually out process the camera. But using crappy phone images processed well in the smartphone still means crappy results overall. I’d rather post process a really good set on my computer. In fact, I really have no interest in more AI in my camera. Would rather the effort go toward a better sensor.

I guess we each have a different definition of crappy. For example, I'm particularly picky about the sharpness of my lenses, I routinely criticize the Sony kit lens on the a6000 for example when others find it acceptable. Yet my cell phone photos, although limited to a single focal length, and only 12 megapixels, are quite excellent in terms of resolution and sharpness. I've enlarged up to 11x14 and had excellent results from my phone pictures.

So in that sense, my phone exceeds almost any normal point and shoot unless it's very high-end. For 99% of my uses, the quality of the photos is perfectly acceptable and certainly not crappy. In fact the processing is better than my cameras' processing, and I don't have to spend a lot of time doing post processing. So in fact, my phone is crappy as to focal length rigidity and lower megapixels and very low light, but my ILCs are crappy in jpeg processing. They almost have to be PP'd to equal what I can get from my phone, in the DR and color respect. Plus my phone is easier to carry so my ILCs are crappy from a portability perspective. Don't get me wrong, I have ILCs as well (two systems). But I do see the value as well as strengths and weaknesses of each of these photographic tools.

I do sense from many posters that there is this defensiveness about phones even though in most cases the pictures are quite good enough. The pictures are better than we tolerated from regular digital cameras only a few years ago. And I don't even post on social media so that's not my target use of the photos.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
AOC
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow