First Leica (Digital) 240 M v 240 M-P v 240 M-E v M9 v M10?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nakaya Regular Member • Posts: 153
First Leica (Digital) 240 M v 240 M-P v 240 M-E v M9 v M10?

Looking for some advice from the forum:

My goal is to have a camera that will make photography fun and that I will bring everywhere.

I am trying to figure out what would make the most sense. I want to start with an M body and a 35mm lens, either a 1.4 or 2.0.

I will most likely buy used lenses to keep costs down but for the body I am not sure what to do.

Originally I thought I would just buy a used one because I would be less worried about banging it up but then I started looking at the newer models and the price delta isn't crazy.

From looking at my local Leica store a used M 240 is about $3k (USD), 240 M-P is about $4.5k and then if I look at new the M-E at full retail is only $4k and on Amazon the M10 is $5.8k with 0% financing.

Are these prices about right? What would you recommend for a first Leica? Being able to toggle the frame lines is a very nice feature for someone new to rangefinders but is after you get used to your lenses is it necessary? Low light performance is important too considering I wouldn't likely use a flash.

For background my current camera is an OMD-EM1 Mk1. The camera has great controls and is easy to use but it isn't fun and the resolution isn't amazing. I use it for blog posts and travel photography.

Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow