Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,784
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Andy Currie wrote:

I have the same issue of weight/quality versus output and a need to stay with Nikon, despite the pull of jumping to Fuji.

2 years ago I travelled to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore. My main lens was a 24-120 - and almost everything past 100mm was unusable... soft as butter in the corners. This year I'm doing HK to Japan and I have spent months on honing my travel kit and have ended up with the following:

18-35 G - lightweight, wide, tack sharp - the ideal street lens.

50mm f1.8 G - So I have something fast...

70-300 G AFP - wow! - lightweight, lightning quick, tack sharp too. A bargain!

I have a small Lowepro backpack which will double as my carry on bag with headphones, tablet etc.

The voice of reason.   My 18-35 lives on one of my D800.  My needs are different than most:  I never shoot at 50 (nor need a fast lens) nor ever use a telephoto but I would buy the 70-300 AF-P in a heartbeat if suddenly I needed a telephoto.

The idea of the 24-120 f/4 being the ultimate walk-around lens is not the reality.  I sold my 24-120 f/4 and kept my 24-85 G which I tested out to be the equivalent if not sharper...and lighter...and cheaper.  And I never shoot my 24-85 above maybe 40.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow