AI is just around the corner.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,415
Re: Which computation do you want?

stevo23 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

The future is going to see much more computational and AI logic in our cameras. In fact, I think Fuji, Nikon, Canon, et al are working on this right now. Where are the camera companies? Heck, smartphones seem way ahead - possible because of a MUCH, MUCH bigger market. Stay tuned. The camera market will either change - or die. the camera you own today will not resemble the camera of ten years from now. Ten years! Probably a lot sooner.

It's always helpful to talk about what it is you want in computational logic.

1. Intelligent, robust frame stacking that works at hand held shutter speeds, with some subject or camera motion.  Google Pixels do this.  Not sure about other smartphones.  Pretty sure no existing ILC or P&S does.
  2. Fake shallow DOF as good as most flagship smartphones can do.  (Where the depth map can be repainted in PPing.)  Yeah, my bokeh standards are low.
  3. Near perfect auto-metering so there is (almost) no need whatsoever for a histogram.
  4. Near perfect auto tone mapping so there is no need to shoot raw (most of the time.)  (Again, no existing ILC or P&S can do this.)

My Pixel 2 has 1, 3, and 4.  I don't think the Pixel 2 is best-of-breed with shallow DOF emulation.  For me, 3 and 4 are "100% of the time" with my Pixel 2.   "Extremely rarely" with any of my Canon cameras so I shoot 100% raw and plan on spending minutes per image duplicating what my Pixel 2 does automatically with SOOC JPEGs.

Also, in journalism and sports, I suspect much of it may not be allowed.

Agree.  The above don't work at high FPS rates.  But if implemented on an APC-S or FF sensor the worst case is the AI isn't used at all so the cameras work as well as they do now.   Nothing is lost.

The Pixel AI is very robust.  It degrades gracefully when fast FPS are used.  It (almost) never causes image problems; you just get noisier images when the AI can't keep up.

Wayne

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
AOC
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow