EVF "lag" tests REQUIRED in (ML) REVIEWS ???

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotoTeach2 Senior Member • Posts: 9,883
EVF "lag" tests REQUIRED in (ML) REVIEWS ???

I am a very strong ML/EVF supporter, but have to admit EVF-"lag" is its single biggest problem, and much different (worse) than older SLR/dSLR "blackout".

With former SLR/dSLR "blackout" the (fast-moving) subject that is being panned can still be in the same place after blackout, (w/ only basic panning technique).

But the inherent delay between the light striking the (imaging) sensor and display on eye-EVF/rear-LCD results in the camera always pointed BEHIND a (fast-moving "panned") subject.

This is not a major issue until after the (first) shot and then the subject reappears "ahead" after the blackout, often completely OUT OF THE FRAME, (and the camera then needs to be "jumped" ahead to be back on the subject).

This is problematic for even the best panner, (shooting a continuous series/sequence) ,but much worse for an erratic-moving subject -- and has been recently discussed in 150+ threads.

As a staunch supporter of ML/EVF, I also have this admit it remains a major problem I can only hope can be reduced in the future.

I assume that with "no" blackout (unless done by tricks), the A9 may be better in this regard, but I have no personal experience with it yet.

But I also must assume there still is an (electronic) delay between the light striking the sensor, and then being "displayed", (on either the eye-EVF or rear-LCD).

I have seen tests where a (separate) camera records a (single-shot) of BOTH a timer and the LCD of a camera pointed at that timer. The timer is of course always slightly ahead of the (delayed) image then being displayed.

I have another question is whether the actual (recorded) image is of the exact-time/instant the shutter-button is pushed ... OR ... is it an EARLIER-time (as recorded before delayed and eventually displayed) ???

I think these should be a REQUIRED TESTS of all (ML/EVF) REVIEWS, (@ different EVF refresh-rates).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow