Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 15,630
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

I'm of the view that I can carry a fair amount of weight, as long as it is carried well and off the shoulders.  I use a big waist bag to put most of the weight on my hips, with a shoulder strap that puts some of the weight on one shoulder and adds stability.

Doesn't do anything for the weight on my knees or feet, but my upper body isn't stressed at all, save some times where the shoulder strap gets tedious.

I use 16-35, 24-70 and 80-400 for maximum flexibility in 3 lenses.    I could use the 70-200f2.8 instead of the 80-400g, but I rarely find much use for the 70-200 range outside of events and sports.  The 80-400 covers that range well and adds the more useful 200-400 range.

It does weigh something, but I also have a range of choices between this compromise, or a backpack full of lenses, or a cell phone.

When I've tried really going light, it was with a Nikon V1 and V2 - truly portable systems there.  But i run into the same issues as always - I don't like the results compared to using whatever DSLR I have.   So ultimately I carry the weight - but I'm not backpacking or hiking more than a mile or two from a trailhead.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow