Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
pekored
pekored Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

I realize this is not what you will want to hear, but if you don’t mind I will contribute an opinion.  In the film days, I was a prime guy with Nikon ... and all the fastest versions of lenses:  105, 50, 35, and 24.  At one time, I even had a Panasonic m4/3 to save space and weight.  It sits in the cupboard and I refuse to use it as I have so much fun with my new camera.  I am no spring chicken at 66 years of age.

My current gear?  Just a Nikon D500 (upgraded from the D300) and one zoom lens:  16-80mm DX.  This lens is tack sharp and covers a focal range that never leaves me wanting something else.  I have thought about a 70-200mm but when I give it serious consideration ... I just do not have a high enough need at the high end.  Again, this is for the photos I take.

I recently returned from a cruise of Italy, Greece and Malta (some photos in the link below). While not full frame, the D500 and one lens did it all.  I created a ‘gallery’ wall of metal prints that sure give me a lot of pleasure.

You can never say ‘never’, but that combo could see me to my end.  If I had the cash, I know I could travel the world with it, ha, ha.

All the best to you in any choice you make and it will work!

Regards, Peter

-- hide signature --
 pekored's gear list:pekored's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow