Google confirms that Pixel 4 will have at least two rear cameras

Started Jun 12, 2019 | Discussions thread
Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,633
Asus Zenfone Zoomable periscope lens

noisephotographer wrote:

Wayne Larmon wrote:

If there is a smartphone periscope lens then why can't it be zoomable like the S50 is? (The whole point of that Nikon camera was to make a shirt pocket camera with purely internal optical zoom.)

Wayne

There is a smartphone with a periscope zoom camera. It's the Asus Zenfone Zoom, released in ≈2015. https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-Zoom-ZX551ML/PixelMaster/

Wow! That is an impressive lens/sensor module.

The lens had very small aperture diameters, so it is worse than smartphone tele prime lens cameras.

Too bad the implementation fell short. I wonder if this is really a dead end or if the idea was just ahead of its time? (It does look intrinsically expensive, though. Compared to camera modules that don't zoom.)

Our Nikon S50's lens wasn't bad but it probably was worse than conventional zooms. Probably why periscope zooms died out.

Here are a few photos I shot with the S50 in 2007 of Les Paul playing at the Iridium in NYC. Natural light shot from our table. Most of them are noisy because I shot at ISO 1600. I shot a few at ISO 400 but that got me to the .1 sec shutter speed range. In retrospect, I should have shotgunned more at ISO 400. (I didn't know until showtime that no-flash still photos were allowed. If I did, I would have brought my Canon G7.)

Wayne

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
AOC
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow