Sony A7000/A6700 finally coming ? July 17 is the "Sony Big Day for Camera and Lenses"

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,093
Re: Sony A7000/A6700 finally coming ? July 17 is the "Sony Big Day for Camera and Lenses"

NotAPhotog wrote:

mcslsk wrote:

I guess I would be interested in a new full frame body that is smaller than the A7I/II/III

What good is such a small body if most fast, quality lenses are big and heavy?

In comparison with what?

Samyang 24 and 35mm f2.8 - compact, light, and sharp wide open in the case of the 35mm

Unfortunately only in the case of the 35.

Sony 28 f2 - relatively compact, light, decent optics and about equivalent to the APS-C Sigma 30mm f1.4

By far not as sharp wide open and down to f4.

The rumored Sigma 45mm f2.8 is supposed to be a "pancake" lens too, but of course we'll have to wait and see.

Then there's the FE ZA 35mm f2.8, which is compact, sharp, and still cheaper than than the ripoff Zony 24mm.

Good lens, but the Samyang performs better.

No other mirrorless full frame system in existence has any resemblance of "compact" lenses. It could change, and I hope it does, but your state of "fast, quality" lenses being "big and heavy" just isn't accurate.

Well, the lenses you have mentioned are mostly 28/35. You can throw in the 55/1.8 and even the FE85/1.8. But that is pretty much it when size matters.

edit: Don't forget the Samyang 45mm f1.8, which isn't exactly sharp wide open but better once you stop down. It's also compact and affordable.

If you wantto restrict yourself to those lenses (and let's not even talk about zoom lenses), your compact FF is already available: The original a7. Perfect with Samyang 35/2.8.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7 Sony a6500 Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +51 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow