Multiple Options for a First Lens paired with a Sony A7iii

Started Jun 26, 2019 | Questions thread
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,764
Re: Multiple Options for a First Lens paired with a Sony A7iii

samdesignsthat wrote:

The "worst" part about it is: the sheer volume of lenses you can choose from, under a limited budget.

Looks like Sony has come of age. I think this is the first time I’ve seen the problem stated as too many lens choices. Until last year the common wisdom was that Sony had no lens choice.

to your question though Sam. As you will see from my gear list I like primes and I like the Batis primes they are fantastic lenses but unless you’re very ‘old school’ or simply dedicated to a specific style one prime can be limiting. The flexibility of a zoom as your only lens will be very welcome in many many situations. The recommendation of the Tamaron is a good one. If you can run to it the 24-105 is a fantastic lens. I would jump in with either of these, or even dare I say it, the kit lens. After you have been shooting for a while and skipping a coffee every week to build a lens fund see what focal length you have used most then jump in with a prime of that length.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow