Google confirms that Pixel 4 will have at least two rear cameras

Started Jun 12, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 975
Re: Pixel 4 might have a tele camera

Pixel2xlSnapper wrote:

I wonder how they would push the bar with the new telephoto lens (if that is true).

The super-res room was already providing around 1.5-2x of lossless zoom (of sort)?

I suppose, with the extra information from the 16mp tele sensor, they could push it to 4-5x lossless zoom?

Also if they used a primary cam with 48mp IMX586 sensor, then 5x seems totally possible with the help of the additional tele lens + super res zoom from primary lens.

Sony's 48 megapixel sensor doesn't have dual pixel autofocus. But since there is an additional tele lens, that could probably be used for the depth map.

Google's super resolution zoom was basically just marketing, I compared many posted sample images (and also looked at dpreview's studio Night Sight jpg) and I also tested it in the store and my conclusion is that you likely don't get much more than 1.1x lossless zoom. At 1.5x it's already obviously not lossless, 1.3x also doesn't look completely lossless. In low-light conditions it can compete better because the noise performance is better than competitors.

We don't know which aperture diameter the tele camera will have, so diffraction could be an issue possibly. We also don't know which field of view it will have: 80mm? 60mm? 50mm? Or maybe just 40mm. Other smartphones don't have a 16 megapixel "tele" camera, so it's possible that Google does something unusual and gives us a 40mm or 45mm camera with a slightly larger sensor than the sensor of other 50mm smartphone cameras. Why a larger sensor? A small sensor combined with pixels smaller than 1.0 micrometers could be too bad in low-light conditions / shadow regions, so I don't think that the pixel size is smaller than the 1.0micrometers of competitors, which would mean that the sensor is larger than the iPhone Xs/Galaxy S10+ tele camera sensor. This would be surprising, so I guess that it will be a 45mm camera. A 51.5mm crop (Apple's field of view) of a 16megapixel (1.0 micrometer pixel size) 45mm camera would give you 12.2 megapixels and also the same effective sensor area as Apple's 51.5mm camera.

I also thought that Google might be able to achieve good results with the Sony Imx 586. But currently not a single phone is able to achieve a 52mm performance (by cropping the Imx 586) that is as good as the iPhone Xs 52mm camera. Demosaicing seems to be more difficult due to the Quad Bayer sensor. Furthermore a 2x cropped Imx 586 is equivalent to a 37% smaller sensor than the iPhone Xs camera sensor. The pixels are smaller, too. Moreover it might be hard to make a lens that offers such a high resolution in the center of the frame (though I think the lens of the 48 megapixel Huawei Honor View 20 is sharp enough).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
AOC
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow