Do you use a UV filter as protection?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Andrade Contributing Member • Posts: 546
Re: Do you use a UV filter as protection?

nosiesta wrote:

Hello

What's the current thinking on using a decent UV filter to protect the lens outer element?

I always have in the past but just picked up a new lens and am debating it now. Obviously the quality of the lens is only going to be as good as the filter glass it's shooting through.

I do a lot of rock climbing so the chance of a scratch is higher than normal.

In the past I've always gone for a B+W UV (never a Skylight). Hoods add bulk and are faff (yep, I know they held with contrast and flare etc)

Thanks

My two cents.

No. Pointless. Like, not just a little....entirely.

If you do happen to drop your lens, the filter could get stuck on the mount. The glass on the filter will never be as good and the lens glass and if "you" (not you in particular) think that your lens will shatter if it drops as if it were house window panes....then I am not sure what else to say.

I usually leave my lens hood on, and that's enough protection. I genuinely cannot think of ONE upside of "wasting" money on one.

Dave Andrade's gear list:Dave Andrade's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow