Do you use a UV filter as protection?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Smith-64 Regular Member • Posts: 310
No, with History

I have dropped two lenses in the 60 years I've practiced photography.  In the late '70 I dropped a 50mm f1.4 lens from waist high. No UV filter and I bent the filter mounting threads.  The lens was otherwise undamaged and continued to function and I was able to restore the threads enough to be usable if one was very careful.  The second lens I dropped was in about 2010, the 40-150 f4-5.6 kit lens for the Oly DSLRs.  It fell out of a pocket hitting face down on asphalt impacting the mounted factory lens hood.  The lens is still functional and only tiny mark on the plastic exists as evidence of the event.

I have recently looked through my collection of lens from the early '70s to the present and I found no evidence of front element damage due to scratching.  Two (at least 40 yrs old) have front element issues, lubricant migration to the front element internally but lens hoods, lens caps, nor  lens filter would have had any  effect on that problem.

In normal usage lenses go back into my bag or my vest with the hood in its normal position and the rear cap on.  Only the lenses with a separate case are the front lens caps used with the hood reversed.  Lenses with no hoods are stored with front cap in place.

As I've stated elsewhere, even in the days of film and did sometimes use either UV or skylight filters I was never comfortable that the photos were as with as without.

A. C.

Smith-64's gear list:Smith-64's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow