Do you use a UV filter as protection?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 6,603
Re: Lens Elements vs. UV filters

Adielle wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

Adielle wrote:

Let me know when you get a QuartzLine or Exus or a UV filter of similar quality to show that kind of horrible performance. Filters are not "all made equal", there's a huge quality spectrum, starting from extremely poor and ending in way beyond reasonable specs.

Now you are talking nonsense. The reflections from different filters will vary, but none are so low as to give no noticeable effects.

No, I haven't "talked nonsense", learn to read. Like I said, there's always a chance for noticeable negative effects and the point is that this chance greatly decreases with very high quality filters which have extremely low refraction and reflectivity. You just used a very low quality filter to demonstrate a point.

I did not use a "very low quality" filter.  The filter used was a Hoya HMC UV(C) filter which is very comparable in quality to the great majority of filters used by photographers.  Indeed, there are many cheap filters is use that give much worse ghosts.

There would be no point in trying the experiment with a filter that is a much higher quality than normally available to photographers.  I haven't tried to repeat the experiment with a variety of different filters, but many others have found similar results using different filters.

It would be interesting to do the experiment to compare the results of different brands/types of filters, but I am not aware of anyone having done that.

If you can produce evidence that other filters (that are reasonably affordable) produce significantly better results than the Hoya HMC filters, I would be very interested to know.

Try demonstrating it with a high quality filter, next time, instead of scaring people with such a terrible picture. The problem is that you won't be able to get something like that, so you won't be demonstrating anything, but I'm sure you'll keep talking about how a single piece of glass with extremely low reflectivity and refraction and multiple essential coatings has a high chance of ruining your pictures.

The fact is that the circumstances in which these ghosts occur do not crop up very often.  The lights need to be extremely bright and the part of the picture where the ghosts occur needs to be quite dark for the ghosts to be noticeable.

I use filters on all my lenses almost all the time and very rarely experience problems.  Nevertheless, it is as well to be aware that problems may sometimes occur, even if very rarely.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow