dead zone

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
benjilafouine Senior Member • Posts: 2,097
Re: Dead Zone

The "DSLR generation" is an interesting concept. How do you define it? I used a film SLR (a hand-me-down from my father, who had gotten the Nikon of his dreams) for about 15 years, switched to "point-and-shoots" (first film and then digital) for about 20, and then got a DSLR. I shoot a fair amount with my smartphone. They've gotten pretty good.

I forgot to answer this question

I started in 2003 with digital cameras and got my first DSLR in 2005. Before 2003, I was using compact 35 mm cameras and didn't have much interest in the results (they were souvenirs/memories but nothing to frame on the wall). Digital era changed all that.

Fast forward in 2019, I own so many cameras (point and shoot, DSLR and even digital HD video cameras) that I do not see myself buying another camera for several more years unless my 7D breaks. I am now past 55 years old and I just retired and I can take good pictures with all my cameras (depending on what I want to shoot of course). Even my old S5 IS still does the job (I even have add-on lenses, wide and telephoto).

So when I refer to the "DSLR generation", I mean people who have jumped on the digital bandwagon since the early days of digital cameras and who are more than satisfied with what they already own. Of course, I do not consider myself as a professional photographer although I flirted with the idea 10 years ago. I can understand why pros would want an even better and faster camera.

This is what I consider to be the "DSLR generation" and I have no need to buy a more fancy things. This generation has enough cameras for years to come, hence I believe less attraction for new stuff.

Just my personal opinion.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow