dead zone

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ace_planephotos Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: dead zone

1Dx4me wrote:

hello everyone,

i don't know if you guys have noticed, but any forum related to DSLR is just about dead, there is no debate, discussion or interest and that applies to aps-c and FF cameras, and just about all of the lenses as well! so what do you think, is canon in the process of killing DSLRs slowly by not introducing any new DSLR camra or lenses to entice new enthusiasm in DSLR camp or no ones has any clue (including canon) as to what is going on. of course i do see some activity in R/RS forum, which is understandable because it is the newest shiny toy! so, what do you think may happen, does anyone think we may see some new activity in DSLR camp, because it desperately needs it? would like to have your comments and opinion. thanks.

It is a gear website after all, and with mirrorless being pushed as the future and released at a faster rate, it makes sense that's where the discussion is. However, if looking at a forum such as the Micro Four Thirds forum, the bleakness of the Canon forums in comparison is betraying, since Canon has a much larger market share, former and current, than MFT (we also talk a lot less about equivalence here).

Canon could entice more interest back to DSLR with their next new release. However, it may well be their last APSC DSLR, so I would expect it to be a generational update that makes users happy for the near future (at least 3 yrs post release). I think mirrorless is the future though, and that's eventually what most of us will be using. If we have any hope of seeing smartphone computational imaging tricks in dedicated cameras, mirrorless needs to be the future because it is the best platform for those advancements (based on the fact that every smartphone camera is mirrorless).

In the meantime, my 80D is reliable, takes great images, and is more than capable enough for my uses of it. There are also more than enough produced and in-production EF lenses for myself and millions of others to not worry about being forced into a new system due to lack of supplies/compatibility.

-- hide signature --

Ben
Wildlife Photos (mostly birding) https://www.flickr.com/photos/156645688@N02/

ace_planephotos's gear list:ace_planephotos's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow