Massao wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Massao wrote:

Massao wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Massao wrote:

bob5050 wrote:

Massao wrote:

How is Sigma? does this focusing behaviour sound familiar? or it locks on focus snappily?

It's pretty much point and shoot--no noticable hunting or indecision. However--

I’m pretty sure its the lens more than the camera

I'm way less sure about that. I got this lens after I had moved to the K-3, so I don't know directly about how it would perform on the K-30. But I can say I had several other lenses that were nearly unusable in the dark on the K-30 with focus-hunting, but that behaved entirely differently and more surely on the K-3. If the Tamron hunts all the time, then I'd be more convinced it's the lens. If it's only in low-light, it could very well be the camera.

I tested my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 further on my K-30 and a K-7. Yes, the AF is significantly slower in low light on both cameras but it is not quick enough in bright light either. It could be that both K-7 and K-30 have the same metering and AF functionality, so I'm back to square one LOL

I warned you about the inconsistent Tamron 17-50 AF a while ago...you did not believe me

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62619077

You were right; my bad

I tried a 17-70mm f/4 SDM lens. The AF speed is definitely faster and decisive than my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. A choice between a lens (P 17-70) that probably won’t last more than a year without failing the SDM motor and a lens (T 17-50) that is lame for focusing by default. Such are the choice Pentax users have to live with

You have Sigma 17-50 2.8, many people are very happy with the lens.

Tamron can be used with a precise AF adjustment dialed in for each body, using just a central AF point, and some extra care taken where to focus (not on smooth, low contrast areas). But it requires some practice. I still used it with success at many events with K-x and K-5 IIs.

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is not available in the key shops here in Norway. One shop is selling it for double the price of Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or Pentax 17-70 f/4. Not sure if its worth double the price?

How about the Pentax 16-45mm f/4. I don't really need f/2.8 if its sharp at f/4

Pentax 16-45 is screw drive AF like Tamron, not sure you would be happy with it, and Tamron is sharper all around. Try to get the Sigma used, you don't have many options here.

My memory isn't fresh on this subject, but I have both the Pentax 16-45 and the Tamron 17-50.  The 16-45 is an older design and a bit quirky.  My first copy from eBay was defective and I sent it back, but I shopped for one that a camera company, perhaps Adorama, swore was in excellent condition and it was indeed.  In regard to how I shoot, which is on hikes shooting stills, the 16-45 performed extremely well.  Just about everyone who has used the 16-45 thinks it an excellent lens.  Reviews rate it very highly as well.

Later on I was in discussions where the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 were being compared, did some research on my own and the Tamron seemed the better choice for hikes.  The Sigma would have been the better choice had I wanted this range for portraits.

I don't recall comparing the Pentax 16-45 with the Tamron 17-50.  In terms of shooting stills, I doubt that the Tamron would be better than the 16-45, and stills have always been my interest.  As to the screw-drive being a detriment, that might be true, but I don't recall any problem with my copy.

I think the Pentax 16-45 is well worth having, but it has been out of production for a long time and so getting a "near-mint" copy from a reputable seller would be mandatory IMO.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +112 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow