Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 1,078
Re: Pentax 26mp APSC in the works

Massao wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Massao wrote:

bob5050 wrote:

Massao wrote:

How is Sigma? does this focusing behaviour sound familiar? or it locks on focus snappily?

It's pretty much point and shoot--no noticable hunting or indecision. However--

I’m pretty sure its the lens more than the camera

I'm way less sure about that. I got this lens after I had moved to the K-3, so I don't know directly about how it would perform on the K-30. But I can say I had several other lenses that were nearly unusable in the dark on the K-30 with focus-hunting, but that behaved entirely differently and more surely on the K-3. If the Tamron hunts all the time, then I'd be more convinced it's the lens. If it's only in low-light, it could very well be the camera.

I tested my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 further on my K-30 and a K-7. Yes, the AF is significantly slower in low light on both cameras but it is not quick enough in bright light either. It could be that both K-7 and K-30 have the same metering and AF functionality, so I'm back to square one LOL

I warned you about the inconsistent Tamron 17-50 AF a while ago...you did not believe me

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62619077

You were right; my bad

I tried a 17-70mm f/4 SDM lens. The AF speed is definitely faster and decisive than my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. A choice between a lens (P 17-70) that probably won’t last more than a year without failing the SDM motor and a lens (T 17-50) that is lame for focusing by default. Such are the choice Pentax users have to live with

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A37 Pentax K-30 Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow