Do you use a UV filter as protection?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
dpduck New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Filters are a MUST

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

(The link from Luminous Landscapes that someone posted, is full of utter nonsense. It is quite incredible that people believe such things and even quote them. Let me explain why are such articles ridden with misconceptions, so you will judge better.)

UV Filters

1. As for the UV filters, they are a must, first and foremost, because users seldom know exactly (especially when the new camera comes out) what level of UV filtering is applied onto the sensor, or what kind of coating lens has.

3. Increased UV also influences nearby parts of the spectrum, especially the HeV blues, and the UV filter helps to minimise the issues. If the UV is not controlled, expect some issues in your visible spectrum that the camera will record.

No UV Filter

UV Filter On

First, there is no movement in the clouds in the before and after pictures you posted. Except for post processing, they are identical. I doubt anyone can change out a filter that fast and not disturb the camera and tripod while doing the swap.  Stack and align them in your photo editor and you will see this is not a real UV filter test.

From my experience with UV filters on Olympus cameras, I will say don't use them. They do more harm than good. I've tried Tiffen, Hoya, and B&W filters and they all added reflections if there is a bright spot on the scene. The Tiffen didn't even reduce purple fringing.

I've found that the only protective filter worth using is Olympus's Zero coated variant. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for.  Otherwise it's a lens cap, air blower, and lens pen for me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow